Registered Veterinary Nurse- Nights- Full-TimeLocation: Savile Road, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire Practice: Calder Vets Dewsbury Salary: £23,000 - £29,000 Practice Details
Calder Vets is based in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, a 13-minute train ride from the city of Leeds with easy access to the beautiful Peak District and the city of York less than 1 hour away. We are a high standard primary care and referral Tier 3 Hospital with ten satellite clinics across the beautiful West and South Yorkshire regions. We have excellent facilities including on site CT, dental suite, digital x-ray and dental x-ray, ultrasound, in-house lab, endoscopy, excellent anaesthetic monitoring equipment including multiparameter monitors, separate wards for surgical, medical, isolation, cats, exotics and outpatients.
We’re passionate veterinary professionals who are committed to providing exceptional care. Our mission is to provide high-quality healthcare and strive to make visiting the vets a positive experience for our patients and clients. Our core values are Clinical Excellence, Client Care, Patient Care, Teamwork, Development and Positivity. We are looking for like-minded team members to come and join our fantastic team.
We are also a friendly, welcoming team that enjoy bringing fun into the workplace. Our Champions Team organises regular events and we have made an exciting Engagement Action Plan together as a team. We are also working on our wellbeing agenda, with trained Mental Health First Aiders on site, as well as working towards our Investors in the Environment Bronze Award.
Roles and Responsibilities
We at Calder Vets Dewsbury are looking for a nurse to fill an Out of Hours (OOH) Registered Veterinary Nurse (RVN) role.
This is the perfect position for an RVN looking to progress in all aspects of medical and emergency-based nursing. The candidate will require experience inwards and ECC or have a keen interest to develop within this area. You will help to facilitate the efficient and effective flow of patients throughout the hospital, whilst ensuring the delivery of exceptional care to patients.
- 3 theatres
- Separate cat/dog/exotic wards plus ICU
- x-ray (including in-theatre), 2 x ultrasound scanners (including a new state of the art echo scanner) plus CT and visiting MRI
- Large range of scopes including flexible, rigid and laparoscopy
- Dental suite with x-ray
- Internal lab with Haem/biochem/coags/iSTAT etc/
We are looking for a nurse looking with a desire to focus their knowledge on all aspects of emergency and in-patient nursing, protocols, and procedures to ensure the highest standard of care is provided.
Expected responsibilities include:
- Working alongside clinicians, nurses, physio and Patient Care Assistants (PCA) to provide nursing plans and care
- Involvement in diverse cases from routine surgery to intensive care cases
- Involvement in aiding in research and development within the veterinary sector in multiple disciplines, as well as supported self-clinical progression
- Inpatient care – follow care plans set by vets each night.
- Complete patient handovers in am/pm
- Aid completion of clinical audits
- Ensuring effective triage both in hospital and telephone service is provided and efficient prioritisation takes place
- Client communication to update on the progress of their pets
- Promoting and supporting projects such as the Practice Standards Scheme accreditations and awards and ISFM Cat-Friendly Clinic
- Participate in clinical governance through contribution to Vetsafe, participating in M&M meetings and assisting with clinical audits
- Promote and support the practices environmental policies.
Our emergency OOH team is a nurse lead department consisting of dedicated night RVNs and night patient care assistants who provide 24-hour care to our hospitalised patients and work alongside all other departments within the hospital. They will work along side dedicated night vets who are always on site.
This is a rewarding role within the OOH department providing care and treatment plans to hospitalised patients. As a department, we are striving for the best for our patients, and in the development of our nursing team.
The successful candidate must have a love of working within an extremely varied and fast paced environment with a team of like-minded people. We are looking for someone who will not only go above and beyond for our patients but for their colleagues too. Experience working in a hospital is beneficial but not essential as comprehensive training from our highly experienced team will be provided. Candidates must be qualified RVNs and will be proactive, enthusiastic, approachable, a great team player, able to use their own initiative and self-motivated. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to multi-task with a flexible approach to working are essential.
You will have access to state-of-the-art monitoring equipment and be trained in advanced monitoring techniques including, blood pressure monitoring, capnography, ECG, and arterial blood gas analysis, to ensure our patients receive the highest level of care.
You will see a large and varied first opinion, referral and emergency caseload, working within an exceptional team and developing your career whilst being exposed to cases from all disciplines. This is a rewarding and challenging role that will require teamwork and dedication to the service and its patients.
We would love to hear from nurses who are keen to use their Emergency and Critical Care skills to the full in a busy, supportive hospital environment. We provide OOH cover for our own 11 sites plus other local practices, meaning our caseload is varied and exciting, providing fantastic opportunities for learning, development and progression.
7 nights on 7 nights off
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays on a pro-rata basis
- Birthday leave
- RCVS & VDS fees paid
- Employee assistance programme
- CPD allowance
- Extensive learning and development programmes
- Progression opportunities
- Staff discount schemes
- Discounts with PetPlan
- Enhanced parental leave policy
- Enhanced sickness policy
- Cycle2Work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Recruitment reward scheme
- Gym membership discount
- Flu vaccine voucher.
Part of an amazing global family
The future of the veterinary world is at the heart of everything we do. We are all individual but two important things bring us together: a commitment to excellence and our passion to make A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS.
Linnaeus is owned by Mars, that makes us part of their 70,000 veterinary health Associates who spend their days thinking about the 400 million pets of the world and how to improve their lives. Being part of this amazing global group gives us the benefit of a huge network of experts and specialists, a future we can invest in and the security that allows us to concentrate on what we do best – caring for pets.
Our Associates are fundamental to our success and we are proud to count some of the finest specialists, veterinary surgeons and nurses in the UK among our team.
Being part of the Mars family of businesses provides huge development opportunities across the group for our Associates.
We’d love to hear from you so please contact [email protected] for more information or an informal chat.