Registered Veterinary Nurse (Surgical)Location: 52 Commercial Street, Morley, Leeds Practice: Abbey House Veterinary Hospital Morley Salary: £23,600- £28,250 Practice Details
Abbey House Hospital is based in Morley, seven miles south of Leeds with great train and bus links into the city, as well as easy access to the beautiful Peak District and the city of York less than one hour away.
We are a high-standard Primary Care and Referral Tier 3 Hospital & training Practice (proudly Cat-Friendly) with four satellite clinics. Our facilities are excellent (four theatres, separate cat/dog/rabbit wards plus ICU, CT, oncology suite, visiting MRI, scopes including laparoscopy, operating microscope, dental suite with x-ray, high spec internal lab with lab tech) and we have an experienced and supportive nurse leadership team.
We are committed to individual career advancement and can support clinical skills development at all levels, as well as progression into leadership and clinical education roles. We have access to an extensive bank of Linnaeus CPD including the AVA accredited Anaesthesia, RECOVER, ECC and leadership development programmes.
We are also a friendly, welcoming team who enjoy bringing fun into the workplace. Our Associate council organises regular events and we have made an exciting engagement action plan together. We are also dedicated to promoting a healthy work-life balance and are working on our wellbeing agenda, with two trained Mental Health First Aiders on site. We are proud to hold the Investors in the environment bronze award.
Your role and responsibilities
- You will report directly to the Lead Surgical Nurse (LSN), and cover general day-to-day duties of the LSN if needed when they are off duty
- You will be part of the “rota” nurses’ group but primarily working in the surgical / oncology nursing team. You will support the Lead Nurse in running an efficient ops list
- Prepare patients for surgery and work with a variety of vets and nurses– dealing with either primary care, referral (soft tissue, orthopaedic, oncology) and critical care and emergency cases (training will be provided for procedures you may not have assisted with in the past)
- Promote and maintain an excellent standard of cleaning and infection control
- As we are a large Training Practice you will be required to assist with the training and support of Patient Care Assistants (PCA) and Student Veterinary Nurses (SVN) (alongside our full-time lead nurse in training and education)
- You will be required to learn how to “price up” procedures and do some stock control
- Clinical governance including Vetsafe reporting, participation in morbidity and mortality
- (M&M) rounds and clinical audit
- Supporting practice projects such as PSS and awards, ISFM Cat-Friendly & investors in the environment
- Promote and ensure adherence to health and safety rules and policies.
This will suit a Registered Veterinary Nurse (RVN) who just wants to specialize in surgical nursing and/or start working towards becoming a Lead Nurse within the organisation.
This is a 40hrs per week role which can be completed over four or give days with one in four weekends. We will consider part-time applicants and flexible working where possible.
- 5 weeks holiday plus bank holidays
- Birthday off
- Practice Bonus Scheme
- Generous sick and parental leave policies
- Employee Assistance, Eye Care, Cycle2Work
- CPD allowance + fantastic internal CPD
- RCVS / BVNA / VDS fees paid
- Staff discount scheme
- £2000 Welcome Bonus. 50% payable in the month you start and 50% on completion of probation.
Part of an amazing global family
The future of the veterinary world is at the heart of everything we do. We are all individual but two important things bring us together: a commitment to excellence and our passion to make A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS.
Linnaeus is owned by Mars, that makes us part of their 70,000 veterinary health Associates who spend their days thinking about the 400 million pets of the world and how to improve their lives. Being part of this amazing global group gives us the benefit of a huge network of experts and specialists, a future we can invest in and the security that allows us to concentrate on what we do best – caring for pets.
Our Associates are fundamental to our success and we are proud to count some of the finest specialists, veterinary surgeons and nurses in the UK among our team.
Being part of the Mars family of businesses provides huge development opportunities across the group for our Associates.
We’d love to hear from you so please contact [email protected] for more information or an informal chat. To apply, please complete the application form below.