ABOUT OUR LINNAEUS EARLY OPPORTUNITIES
Our robust and immersive graduate programmes offer a practical and comprehensive transition from university to rewarding work in practice. The programmes have been crafted to develop you in all areas of your career, combining learning modules in both clinical and professional skills with practice-based mentoring and support. Our first year GDP is aligned with the RCVS VetGDP and you will be supported to complete this during the programme.
Our programmes are industry-leading, seeing you work alongside a plethora of highly respected internal and external veterinary surgeons, including specialists and leaders in their field.
Beyond your practice, you will also have the support network of other graduates on the same journey, who will share your experiences and learn what it means to be a vet, both clinically and emotionally. Finally, you will have the ongoing support of the entire Linnaeus family. We are passionate and committed to supporting you to be the best vet you can be.
How you’ll benefit
Linnaeus has already seen a number of graduates progress within the group and we’re always on the look-out for future talent to join us. We are committed to supporting you to develop yourself and your career. You will have the opportunity to share your ideas and help shape our continued commitment to developing new treatments and technological advancements in the industry. You’ll benefit from:
- A 12-month Graduate Development Programme (GDP) aligned with the RCVS VetGDP starting in September 2024
- Subsequent 12-month Early Careers Programme (ECP) starting in September 2025
- Starting salary from £36,000 with a review at 12 months
- RCVS Membership fees, professional indemnity insurance and an additional membership of choice (BVA or BSAVA) provided
- Graduate roles available throughout the UK
- In-practice primary mentor and trained VetGDP Adviser
- In-practice secondary mentor
- Peer-to-peer support through GDP networking and social events
- Dedicated graduate contact point within the Linnaeus Central Support Team
- Placement at a supportive practice
- Graduate Development Programme (GDP):
- 12 core educational days including an intensive pre-start training camp
- Focus on fundamental primary care clinical and professional skills
- Early Careers Programme (ECP):
- Up to 5 days flexible CPD of your own choice, plus 6 core educational days on more advanced topics
- Flexibility to attend CPD of your own choice
- Graduate specific practical training days – including ultrasound and surgery courses
- Additional CPD opportunities outside of the GDP – conference attendance, external CPD, practice visits
- Access to an extensive online resource library with 170+ hours of on-demand content
- Access to exclusive Linnaeus CPD courses free of charge
- Permanent contract within Linnaeus Veterinary Limited
- Support to map out your own career journey
- Flexibility to move within the Linnaeus family on graduation
Graduate Development Programme (GDP)
Support & Networking:
- Formalised mentorship and support, with practice based primary and secondary mentors, including a VetGDP Adviser
- Funded social events, with peer groups and mentors
- Programme defined by small cohort sizes, supporting a personalised experience and ability to establish close-knit graduate networks
- One to one support from our central team
- Part of the Mars family with global opportunities
- Structured, graduate focused educational programmes with 12 core educational days
- Includes intensive pre-start training camp
- Focus on primary care skill development – common primary care case presentations, surgical skills, dentistry, anaesthesia, imaging, internal medicine, dermatology and ophthalmology
- Non-clinical skills including veterinary business training, time management, communication skills, managing difficult conversations and skills to thrive in practice
Early Careers Programme (ECP)
Support & Networking:
- Ongoing practice-based mentorship
- Ongoing central office support
- Regional social events with your cohort and our other graduates
- Programme defined by increased flexibility and opportunity to tailor clinical and professional skills training to individual areas of interest
- Focus on increasing clinical skill development
- Core educational days cover more advanced clinical topics including neurology, oncology, advanced surgical and medical topics
- Up to five days CPD of your choice, in addition to 6 core educational days provided by Linnaeus
Core foundations OF OUR LINNAEUS POST GRADUATE PROGRAMMES
Mentoring and support
From day one your mentors will be readily available for support. Further support is provided by your carefully selected practice, your peers on the programme and the Linnaeus Central Support Team. Your mentors will ensure that you receive the necessary support to thrive and relish the challenges during your first two years in practice.
Our mentors undertake additional bespoke training to ensure they have the necessary skills to support you. They will provide both professional and personal support, from discussions on clinical cases, successes and areas for improvement to career planning and mental health and wellbeing.
Your mentor will follow a timetable with regular meetings scheduled for the duration of the programme. Between these scheduled meetings you will still regularly work alongside your mentor and be able to have informal catch-ups and consult with them for case advice.
Our commitment to excellence is integral in all that we do at Linnaeus, including within the clinical environment. The combination of mentoring and our core educational days will help you refine your current skills and develop new ones.
Our commitment to excellence expands into non-clinical areas with professional skills training focusing on communication, conflict management and resolution, and resilience to list just a few.
Recognition and reward
Reward lies at the heart of our post-graduate programmes. Realise your achievements and celebrate your successes with an organisation that recognise your hard work and the contribution you make to your team, your patients and their owners’ lives.
Throughout our programmes, you will be supported to explore long-term career options, whether that be general practice, specialisation or further education. The GDP and ECP are the foundations of a fulfilling career within the Linnaeus family.
This is just the beginning
Your time on the GDP and ECP will form the foundations for a long and fulfilling career within Linnaeus. Further education, training and professional development is available to all veterinary Associates within Linnaeus no matter your role or career goal. We support all veterinary surgeons to be the best vets they can be!
Learn more about our career pathways here.
Opportunities within the Linnaeus Central Support Team also exist in fields such as education, quality and veterinary leadership for Associates at various stages of their career.
Want to learn more about our current graduates’ journeys? Follow up on Instagram @linnaeusearlycareers.
“The GDP is a great way to meet up with other new graduates and share your experiences. It also provides great CPD highly relevant to new graduates.”
Coleen Jones, Abbey House Vets
“The Linnaeus Graduate Development Programme has been integral to my first years in practice – surrounded by like-minded new graduates in a truly supportive environment with a wide range of CPD, it’s really allowed me to hit the ground running. It’s clear the learning is only really beginning when you graduate.”
Faye Rawson, Cinque Port Vets
“The Linnaeus GDP has been an incredibly supportive and informative introduction into practice life. With impeccable in-house mentorship as well as clinical and pastoral contacts throughout the entire Linnaeus family, the GDP has made the leap into the real world seamless and stress-free.”
Amy Barry, Village Vet
Why not talk to one of graduates?
We encourage you to hear it from the horse’s mouth! We can put you in touch not only with former graduates, but also offer the opportunity to visit a practice and speak with their veterinary and nursing team.
If you would like the opportunity to speak to a current Linnaeus GDP graduate, please contact
Our vision at Linnaeus is to be recognised as UK and Ireland’s leading veterinary group, committed to excellence in all that we do and delivered through high-quality practices who share a common ethos.
So, if you share our vision and want to join our exciting and innovative practices then get in contact – you will be glad you did.